Wednesday, January 8, 2014

We need to talk

In any relationship between two people, when one of them demands to have “the talk”, you know there’s trouble in paradise.  Whether it’s your father who wants to sit you down and have “the talk” about the opposite sex or your boss who wants to have “the talk” about how he wants to fire you or your girlfriend who wants to have “the talk”, when she pretty much wants to dump your a**, you know YOU DO NOT WANT to have THE TALK. Unfortunately though, it is that time in my life too, that I need to have the much dreaded “talk”. This time with my true companion on the road and my only friend that I need on every journey I embark upon.

My Car.

If I ever had a high maintenance girlfriend like most boys who complain, I’m pretty certain she would be a lot easier to handle than my companion on four wheels. So, I decided that I have “The Talk”.

Dear Car (that actually belongs to my mother),

I am sorry for doing it but you had left me with no choice and I needed to set things straight. So, here we are having “the talk”.  I tried to avoid it but I couldn’t hold it in any longer and you needed to know, because we were both in this together.
You can’t move without me and I can’t depend on anyone else other than you. However, lately it started to seem like a more one-sided relationship. I was giving more than I could get.  Trying to satisfy your insatiable appetite for the very expensive petrol was getting too difficult for me to handle and unfortunately I had nothing to show for keeping your tank full except for a few kilometers on the road. Life was starting to be measured from one trip to the petrol pump to the next.
It’s like you’ve figured out my weakness. Even when I want to give you a silent treatment, I cannot because I simply cannot do without you. So, sometimes you take advantage of that. For example, even when there is nothing wrong with you, you have to go in for service. Even a girl like me, doesn’t visit the parlour unless there is something she really needs to do. And, you would think that with modern technology they could figure out a way for cars not to need maintenance when nothing is wrong.
All you want to do is make me spend my money on you. I am always trying to fix something. Its either the brakes are too squeaky or something quits pumping or something falls loose. There is never an end to it and the best I can do is hope that you will continue to run like you first promised, if I keep giving you what you want.
With time I have also noticed that you have stopped trying to reinvent yourself and that spark is just missing. I see too many of you on the road and it bothers me that each of them are like clones of you. Nothing sets you apart any longer.
Also, I may have never told you this, but infidelity is a big issue that I live in the fear of, constantly. I am always worried that someone might steal you away from me at night or even in broad daylight and there might not be anything I’ll be able to do. I have tried to lock you down in many ways but it’s something I hate doing.  I get the feeling that you won’t even hesitate when someone would just sweep you away. Isn’t that right now?
So, tell me what should one do? What choice am I left with but to let you go? Each minute of my life is spent worrying about you. You occupy a big chunk of my salary and there is nothing I save. How is this relationship going to last if one us has a constant worry on their minds?

Maybe it’s best we part ways. You need to find someone else who is going to take care of your needs because I sure as hell cannot do it anymore.

Love,
S

3 comments:

  1. Yes, well spotted! Thanks. I corrected it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good read,..! sparing the maintenance factor.. this relationship seems quite happening.. you see.. the other party never complaints ! :D

    ReplyDelete